How Disordered Eating Affects Current and Former Athletes of all Levels with Georgie Buckley, Dietitian and PhD Candidate
Ep 18: How Disordered Eating Affects Current and Former Athletes of all Levels with Georgie Buckley, Dietitian and PhD Candidate
Georgie Buckley is an Accredited Practising Dietitian (Aus RD equivalent) and PhD Candidate. She practices in eating disorders and sports nutrition and is informed by Health at Every Size principles with an increasing influence from feminist theory. Georgie is in her final year of her PhD where she has been looking at disordered eating in current and former athletes. Her research has been largely informed by her background and lived experience in elite level track and field as a distance runner.
What started as exploring “gaps in the eating disorder literature” and looking at male athletes, has since extended to challenging sporting cultures and incorporating feminist theory in critiquing the way that those in sport comment on women and girls bodies. Georgie has a special interest in former athletes and the way that sport shapes their relationship with both food and body.
During this episode, we discussed:
- How detrimental commenting on girls and women’s bodies in sport can be long-term
- Her experience as an elite level track and field athlete
- What exactly disordered eating is
- How current and former athletes can heal from disordered eating
- How sport culture imposes pressure on athletes to look a certain way
- How we can change this obsessiveness with appearance and thinness in sport, especially endurance events.
Georgie’s Website and Links to Research
Mentioned in this episode: Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia Georgie’s “What diet culture sounds like in sport” Instagram post we discussed
SPORTS NUTRITION INSIDERS:
- Grab your free fueling chart download to figure out which fuel is easiest on your stomach!
- Join our community on Facebook!
- Learn more about the Nail Your Nutrition fueling course
- To follow along with the show, follow Nailyournutrition.